Handcuffs are among the most often used tool by officers, yet training is severely lacking. Studies show that over 67% of resistance by subjects occurs after the first handcuff has been applied. All too often the result is injury and/or death to either the officer or subject. Additionally, the improper use of handcuffs is the focus of many civil suits. Proper training in the use of handcuffs is vital to officers.
The PATH® "Practical and Tactical Handcuffing" course is the most complete and innovative handcuffing course in the country. Public safety officers including corporate security, federal, state and local law enforcement organizations, contract security companies, academic or healthcare law-enforcement and security, corrections, military police, probation and parole, bail enforcement, and executive protection will benefit from the principles and skills learned during the PATH® training program.
Nearly 3,000 PATH® Instructors have been trained worldwide. The techniques presented are practical and effective. Topics to be covered include the safest approach and positioning for handcuffing, handcuffing non-compliant subjects, prone and kneeling handcuffing, removing handcuffs, and the use of various type of cuffs, among others.
- Reduced Injury to Officers and Subjects
- Reduced Exposure to Civil Liability
- Reduced Workers' Compensation Payments
- Increased Performance, Efficiency & Speed When Applying Handcuffs
- Increased Confidence & Morale
- Increased Safety
- Improved Decision Making
- General Handcuffing Guidelines
- Handcuffing History
- Handcuffing Dangers
- Trial and Error Lessons
- Handcuff Nomenclature
- Hinged, Rigid, Chain-Link and Disposable Handcuffs
- Care and Maintenance of Handcuffs
- Resistance and Control Management
- Officer and Individual Factors/ Escalation Through the Levels of Control
- Recognizing the Threat
- Elements of Reporting Resitance and Control
- Principles of Balance, Movement, Center and Reaction Time
- Relative Positioning
- Handcuffing a Subject in a Standing, Prone or Kneeling Position
- Resistance and Disengaging
- Standing a Prone Handcuffed Subject
- Post Handcuffing Guidelines
- Directing a Subject to a Prone Position
- Prone with Hands Under the Body
- Effect of Pressure of Nerve Centers
- Rolling a Subject to a Prone Position
- Removing Handcuffs
- Use of Contact and Cover
- Exiting a Room or Cell where there is a Potential for Violence
- Methods of Instruction (Instructor Course)
- 8-hour PATH® In-House Instructor Course-Valid for 4 years
- 4-hour PATH® Basic Course- Valid for up to 3 years
Instructor Support Program
Included in the original certification fee is a one year enrollment in the Instructor Authorization and Support Program. Subsequent years are billed annually at $55. This nominal support fee covers costs associated with maintaining a professional support system.
- Access to the Members Only area of the PPC, Inc. website.
- Maintenance and recognition of basic course student records
- Free wallet-size basic PATH® certification cards
- Free 8.5" x 11" basic PATH® certificates
- Maintenance of instructor course records, including certification and re-certification
- Instructor wallet-size cert/support cards
- Issuance of instructor certificates upon initial certification and re-certification
- Supplemental mailings to notify instructors of updates in lesson plans, training methods, and training aids
- Day-to-day technical support
- Information on agency, technical, and studies involving Handcuff products
Course Pricing and Training Options
- Open Enrollment 8-hour In-House Instructor Courses- $299 per person
- On-Site 8-hour In-House Instructor Courses- $325 per person (minumum of 6) plus expenses
- On-Site 4-hour Basic Courses- $99 per person (minimum of 10) plus expenses
Effective January 1st, 2011 In-House Instructors may not engage in the business of charging fees in exchange for training and/or certifying individuals in the PATH® programs without the prior authorization of PPC, Inc. If you are considering PATH® training and it is not being offered directly from PPC, Inc. please contact our office to verify the validity of the Instructor or company offering the training. We will be happy to assist you.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Protection Consultants, Inc. does not guarantee the suitability of this training program for any individual or agency. Individuals and agencies must decide if this training program meets their needs before implementation. Certification in this training program does not license an individual to carry or use handcuffs. It is the responsibility of the individual student and agency to research the legal requirements in his/her jurisdiction before attending or implementing this training program. The information contained within this training program may only be used by public and private law-enforcement officers while in the performance of official duties. Any unauthorized, illegal or unethical use of the information in this training program is prohibited. Although every effort has been made for this training course, manual, and related materials to be complete and accurate, it is impossible to predict, discuss or plan for every circumstance or situation which might arise in the course of training, or when encountering a resistive or aggressive individual. Each trainee assumes the risk of loss, injury, and damages associated with this training and use of the information obtained through this program. Therefore, the trainee must always take into consideration the trainee’s experience, physical abilities, professional responsibilities, agency procedures, legal requirements and the recommendations and techniques contained in this training course, manual, and related materials, before deciding which techniques should be used and under what circumstances. PERSONAL PROTECTION CONSULTANTS, INC. CANNOT GUARANTEE OR WARRANT THE TRAINING, MANUALS OR RELATED MATERIALS. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE EXPRESSLY DISAVOWED.